New Book Release
New Book Release
A new book release Gates of Gold is the first in the series – Gold! Hidden Stories of Australia’s Past.
“Around 16% of all the gold on the planet is buried under our red Aussie earth” and it’s in times of uncertainty when investors flock to and cling to gold.
Gates of Gold
Gates of Gold tells about the discovery of gold and the legacy it left that changed the face of Australia defining and shaping its identity. Learn about:
- how, in the lead up to the discovery of gold with the trailblazing of the British into Victoria and beyond the lives of First Nations people were irrevocably changed.
- The catastrophic impact on First Nations people and how they found ways to survive even when the odds were pitched so much against them.
- How Australia became like a whirlpool of molten gold sucking in men and women from all over the world creating a population explosion with diverse communities and religions, different races, and different ideologies.
- The coming of the Chinese, who contributed greatly to the Australian story, but whose migration to the goldfields gave birth to racist, anti-Chinese sentiment.
- The seeds of the Australian uprising and how the Eureka Stockade on the goldfields in 1854 was a battle inspired by political purpose.
- A landscape transformed, a country upset, turned upside down, and a once pristine environment redesigned.
- How the prevailing attitudes of the Europeans in the nineteenth century justified their actions prior to the discovery of gold and its aftermath.
About the author
Marji Hill in the Gates of Gold explores themes to do with the First Nations, the Chinese in Australia, Australia’s multicultural melting pot, Australian identity, Democratic rights, and law and order.
She is the author of more than 70 books. Marji is a highly respected international author as well as a seasoned business executive, researcher, coach and visual artist. She is passionate about promoting understanding between Australia’s first people and other Australians.
“Gates of Gold is an important addition to the historical record. Gold is pivotal in the nation’s history. It features in its defining moments and its discovery is engraved into the Australian story and its destiny. In addition, Marji Hill refers to the hidden stories relating to First Nations people. the Chinese question, the fight for democratic rights, and the tensions between law and order.” John Foley, Barrister
The other 4 books in the Gold series are
- Shadows of Gold: Eureka and the Birth of Australian Democracy
- Gold and the Chinese: Racism, Riots and Protest on the Australian Goldfields
- Ghosts of Gold: The Life and Times of Jupiter Mosman
- Blood Gold: Native Police, Bushrangers & Lawlessness on the Australian Goldfields
The Gold series is beautifully illustrated with Marji Hill’s own artwork.
Anyone who relishes uncovering hidden stories, iconic episodes or truth-telling to do with Australia’s past, will delight in this book and the forthcoming ones in this series.
Author and Coach